Saturday, January 11, 2014

Anchorman 2


This movie was not one of the top movies on my list of movies to see in theaters, but because of the time it was playing on bargain Tuesday I ended up seeing it anyway. It wasn't that I wasn't interested in the movie at all, it was just that I thought there were many other good movies in theaters right now that I would have preferred to see, I don't really think seeing Anchorman 2 was improved all that much by being seen on the big screen.

Coming into this my expectations were moderately high, at least for the laughter quotient provided from the movie, I didn't expect the movie to have an amazing plot, the first one certainly didn't have a great plot, but did provide quite a few laughs.

I liked this movie, it met my expectations, but it didn't really exceed them. The movie provided laughs, but it wasn't mindblowingly funny, like part of me had hoped it would be. There were quite a few good scenes, and they actually gave a non Ron Burgundy character a bit of a story in this movie, where as the last one was really just following Ron and the other characters only were in the movie with him. I will say that I had wished there had been more of both Paul Rudd and David Koechner in this movie. Like the first movie, I would imagine there were a lot of scenes that were cut from this movie and a lot of funny outtakes, that will probably be released with the movie. In the case of the first movie they actually edited the scenes that were cut into a completely separate movie.

Not only did the cast from the first movie return, but they added in all sorts of other people to this movie even if they were in small parts, and of course there was another fight scene, and this one got a little out of hand. I enjoy seeing random cameos, but I didn't feel like having Harrison Ford in this movie really added anything, it almost seemed like a bit of a power move by these people to show who they could get. I guess if I was making a movie and I could get Harrison Ford in it, I probably would though, why not?

There was only one real issue that I had with the movie, and I think the issue was the result of the format that Anchorman first created. There were a few times where there were cuts from one angle to the other and it just didn't match up, one of the times specifically there was a lot of laughter and when they cut to the other angle it had abruptly stopped, which was just a bit unusual. What the first Anchorman started was allowing actors to ad lib all sorts of different lines and taking the version that was the funniest and put it into the film. I guess the major drawback is that it can be hell to get things to always match up when you are doing several takes with different lines and different results, and editing elements of them all together. It wasn't a major thing in the movie, but I just kind of saw the strings of it in a few different situations, and I can't remember having noticed in other movies that have been done this way.

I would say that anyone who enjoyed the first one will enjoy this one as well, I wouldn't go into it expecting a great plot, but you will get laughs out of it. It was fun seeing it in the theater, but it really wasn't necessary. I think this movie might be best suited to being watched at home with a bunch of friends.

I am putting Anchorman 2 in front of Pacific Rim in my rankings, it was fun, but nothing all that amazing. I think it edges Pacific Rim out because I think it will be a bit more rewatchable in the future.

12. Pain & Gain
11. Thor: The Dark World
10. World War Z
9. Pacific Rim
8. Anchorman 2
7. Iron Man 3
6. Hunger Games: Catching Fire
5. Frozen
4. Star Trek Into Darkness
3. This Is the End
2. The World's End
1.Gravity

No comments:

Post a Comment