Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Ranking the Movies I Saw This Year

This is my ranking list of the new movies that I saw this year, as well as a few that I did not get a chance to see yet. I really did not see that many movies this year looking over the list, but I thought I would include all of them. Quite a bit of debate went into writing this, I kept changing the order of the movies until I decided it was good enough.

11. Cowboys and Aliens: This was by far the worst movie I saw this year. I thought it was a creative idea with a really cool cast, but the execution was not there at all. There were definitely parts that I enjoyed, but others that really didn't work at all. It definitely fell far below the other movies that I saw this year, probably around the 4.0 out of 10.

10. Thor: This is my least favorite of the new generation of Marvel movies. It does not help the movie's case that I saw it in 3D and the 3D did not really do anything for me. I don't think it was needed at all, maybe my eyes just don't handle 3D well, but that is beside the point. This movie was of a character that just was not all that interesting, I was a bit underwhelmed by it. Probably about 6 out of 10.

9. Captain America: The First Avenger: I really liked the style of this movie, and it did a good job of setting up the last movie before The Avengers. Chris Evans did a great job of being Captain America, there was just a bit lacking in the story itself, it was good, but not great, 7 out of 10.

8. Rise of the Planet of the Apes: I will admit I have only seen the original Planet of the Apes movie, so I cannot claim to be the biggest fan of the series, I would watch the others if given the opportunity. I thought the movie was pretty good, really thought Andy Serkis did an amazing job with the motion capture acting as he has been known to do.  I would give it about a 7.5 out of 10.

7.X-Men First Class: I think this movie really approached the X-Men in a much different light than the first series had. Of course this was looking back at the origins, where the other movies did not get into that. This is a somewhat more dramatic and darker look at the X-Men, I look forward to a potential sequel. 7.9 out of 10.

6. Super 8: This movie was really just an ode from JJ Abrams to Steven Spielberg, I would get self conscious if the person I would making a tribute to, was actually producing the movie, but I thought it was well executed. The kids do a great job with their roles in the movie, and Kyle Chandler does a good job in his role. The movie is a different look at its style and genre. 8.5 out of 10.

5. The Muppets: This movie was just amazing!!! I realize it is hard for a Muppet movie to have that much of a cohesive plot, but the movie was just all around enjoyable. I can't claim to be the biggest fan of the Muppets, but there are some Muppet movies that I really like. I really liked the writing, the songs, the emotions, the performances, and just about everything. The only reason it is not higher is that it is a Muppet movie, it is just hard to take is seriously against other good movies, but don't let that count against the movie overall. 8.8 out of 10.

4. Bridesmaids: I really liked this movie, when I saw it in the theater and also the times I have seen it since. I think some of the performances have the chance to really be breakouts for the actors, both Kristen Wiig, and Melissa Mccarthy gained a lot of awareness for what they did in the movie. I thought the jokes and the story were great, I guess there were some gross-out moments, but I didn't really mind them personally. I thought it was a heartwarming journey that was quite unique in recent years. 9 out of 10

3. Attack The Block: I think this was a good all around movie. There was comedy, there was horror, there were interesting characters, there was British slang, what's not to like? It is not gory horror, but more of a thriller horror movie. I liked the creativity of the movie, and how it is different from other horror movies. It was a shame that the movie didn't get wider distribution in the US. 9.2 out of 10.

2. Moneyball: I am a huge fan of the book, and find the subject matter very interesting, and to be honest the movie really did not get into the most interesting things in the book. Looking at the movie as an independent piece from the book, as I need to do in this case, was very entertaining. It is a lighthearted look at an improbably season with a franchise that had to find new ways of evaluating talent, and there is a happy ending, the Twins win! 9.5 out of 10

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: I would just like to refer to this movie as HP 7.2, much shorter and I think the message still gets across. The weird thing about this movie, is that I actually liked part 1 better, but they were released in different years, so I did not have to truly compare the 2 on here. I think the intensity of this movie is great, for the climax of such a long lasting series I would have expected nothing else. It really was a great way to wrap up a series that has been around for a large portion of my life! I think movie was able to wrap up the series very well. I think the performances by the now grown up actors were great. I think this is a movie that will live on in my collection for years ( I got all 8 harry potter movies on Blu-Ray for $59 bucks total). I would give it a full 10 out of 10 because it was the best movie I saw this year.

I should note that I had finished writing this before I saw Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, which I really enjoyed a lot.

I did not get around to seeing every movie that I wanted to this year, in fact there are some fairly recently released movies that I would really like to see. Here is a list of the movies from 2011 I would like to see:
50/50--I like the main actors, and it seems like it could be a very touching story.
Warrior--Heard great things about Tom Hardy's performance.
Horrible Bosses--Heard the movie was just completely hilarious.
Crazy. Stupid. Love.--Love the cast, didn't really have a date when it came out, though.
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy--Getting great reviews, on a great topic.
Young Adult--Love the director, the writer, and Patton Oswalt.
Midnight in Paris--Seems like it is the first good Woody Allen movie in too long.
Tucker ad Dale Vs. Evil--A great twist on the horror genre, sitting at 85% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I wanted to do this last year, but never really had the follow through to finish it, I hope to make this a tradition, I might even remember to keep movies ranked as the year goes on, we will see how committed I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment