Saturday, October 26, 2013

Food Adventures: S.A.L.T. in De Pere, Wisconsin

I have been wanting to start writing about dining experiences in the area, and when I travel, but I haven't because there really aren't all that many interesting and creative restaurants in the area. I didn't take pictures like I really should have, but I will get better at this the more I do it.

I had come across this restaurant while viewing someone's dating profile of all things, and looked up the website. I never messaged the girl, but I really enjoyed the restaurant.

S.A.L.T. is a restaurant in downtown De Pere, Wisconsin, an area that I am discovering more and more has some great great food options in it. This restaurant has a nice laid back atmosphere, and serves a menu of what it calls modern comfort food, taking classic comfort foods and moving it into the modern world.

I went with me fellow foodie friend Shealaina, I don't really like the term foodie, but there isn't another term that people use for being a fan of trying new foods, and creative takes on foods. 

The menu offers small, medium, and large plates, while there is also a menu of different pickles, meats, spreads, and cheeses that was offered as well. My friend and I decided to get a few of the small plates to share, and then each got a medium tray for an entree.

We both loved the things we saw on the menu, and we plan to go back and try some other things.

I especially enjoyed the Breaking Bad reference in "Los Pollos Hermanos" on the menu. The menu as a whole was so much more creative than the things that you see in restaurants around here, the Green Bay area, is not known for its culinary creativity, I think Shealaina and I will be doing a better job of searching for new places and new things to try in the area in the future though.

For the small plates we ordered the sampler, and the shrimp and grits. The sampler came with house made pickles, curry hummus, goat cheese, cherry compote, mustard, brewers sausage, toasted bread slices, and some pita slices. I loved the shrimp and grits, the grits were nice and creamy, the shrimp was cooked in a great rich tomato sauce, all in all a great starter. The sampler was amazing, I think the curry added to the hummus was my favorite part of it, but we devoured everything on the sampler plate. I think next time we will try more of the little parts from the ala carte menu on the bar menu, to get to try new things, like the pickled brussel sprouts, or the artisan meat tray.

For our medium plates Shealaina got a great butternut squash risotto, she loved it, I enjoyed the tastes I got of it, and I am not the biggest fan of squash. I got the schnitzel, which was everything I wanted it to be plus more. The schnitzel was served on a bed of spaetzle, which are small hand made German dumplings, on the side was a pureed red cabbage, which reminded me of the cabbage my dad used to make, on the side there were also some fried brussel sprouts, and finally on top of the schnitzel was a wonderfully gooey poached egg! I know that sounds like a lot, but all of the elements of it works so well together, the textures and flavors were all amazing! The schnitzel was very tender and crispy, the spaezle was great, I enjoyed the cabbage puree, and the fried brussel sprouts were great, I have never been that much of a fan of them, but fried crispy they were great.

Finally we decided we had loved all of the food that we wanted to share some dessert too. Their dessert menu had some great options on it, but we decided to go with the sticky toffee pudding, which was a great moist little cake that was topped with a nice sticky toffee sauce and then also with a great cream sauce, it was wonderful and definitely worth it after the whole meal.

As I said before, Shealaina and I both loved the food we got, and look forward to returning to this restaurant. Well this was the first post in what I hope is a series of posts about the food adventures I have.

1 comment: