Sunday, February 9, 2014

Food Adventures: S.A.L.T. in De Pere Brunch Edition

Well I wrote about my previous trip to S.A.L.T. here, but my friend discovered but they also have a brunch menu, so we decided to go back and try the brunch menu as well.

This time I was able to get a pretty good picture of the menu that if you click on will get larger and is pretty readable. We decided to order a few different things and to share. I will say that I enjoyed that there are 2 dishes that are references from The Lord of the Rings in them, and there was also poutine, but I somehow didn't get poutine, this time.

This was the truffle fries on the menu. I have had some things with truffles in the past that, so I wasn't too eager to try them, but my friend wanted to get them, and its hard to not want to at least try fries of any kind. I liked them quite a bit although I made sure not to fill up on them. The fries were nice and crispy and were more of shoestring fries, which probably helped get that level of crispy. There was a little Parmesan cheese, parsley, truffle oil, and a poached egg on top. The truffle oil was not overpowering, it was more just the essence of truffle. The best fries were the one that got some of the yolk on them.

This was my main dish, chilaquiles. It is a dish that I have seen on all sorts of different shows on tv and always looks so good, but it was something I had never seen on a menu before. I know a low of what I had seen on tv was done with a green chile pork, but this dish was cheese grits on the bottom, seasoned tortilla chips that had a little kick to them, slow roasted pork, queso sauce, minced onion, cilantro, and a poached egg. I didn't mention the tomatoes because I am not a big fan.

This is a shot after removing the tomatoes, and popping the yolk on my egg that made all of the other elements of the dish even more enjoyable. I actually said during the meal something along the lines of "Egg yolk is the best sauce."

A shot that has a bit of the grits in it, they added such a nice creamy element to the dish along with the spice, the slight sweetness, and the richness of the egg. I really enjoyed all of this dish, as I have pretty much everything at S.A.L.T.

Evidence of how much I enjoyed the dish, I have definitely made a habit of doing that at this restaurant.

The other dish we shared was the pastrami hash, the eggs on top are actually duck eggs, I actually didn't notice any flavor difference while eating, but looking at them now, they are bigger, with really big yolks in them. I think I have definitely broken the record for uses of the word yolk in a blog post here. The salad was good, it was mixed greens with a little bit of beet in it too, the salad was good as was the hash. The potatoes had a good crunch on them, and the pastrami was in good sized chunks also with a good crisp on them. It was another. great trip to S.A.L.T.


No comments:

Post a Comment