Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Peter's Cooking Diary #15

Well its another week, and of course I did some more cooking. It was the week of the Super Bowl, but I didn't do all that much cooking. It wasn't much of an event for me this year, and it was a surprisingly boring game.


Cooking started like it does most weeks with onions and garlic cooking in bacon grease, this same base was actually used in 3 different things over 2 days of cooking. I like to plan ahead and do any precooking that I can to help reduce cooking and prep time later on.

I set some of the cooked onions and garlic mixture aside and then continued with the remaining 2/3 of the mixture.

To the remaining onions and garlic I added some mushrooms similar to what I have shown in the past on here, I did use some baby bella mushrooms instead of the button mushrooms I have used in the past, but there isn't much of a difference.

The next thing I was going to add to the pan was some chopped ham. I usually choose a smoked or pit ham for the things that I use it in because it provides the most flavor, but in this situation I used some off the bone ham that was on sale, although in retrospect I should have gone with the pit ham.

Tossing the ham into the pan with the cooked onions, garlic and mushrooms, the ham is fully cooked so it doesn't need all that long in the pan, just long enough to heat up and for the flavors to marry.

The final part of this stage of cooking for the onions, garlic, mushrooms and ham. This mixture was halved and used in 2 different recipes.

I believe I have made a similar pizza before, I used store bought fresh crust from Festival Foods. This was the wheat crust. I have used it before and I know that I really liked it.

Just the normal pizza making process adding a good amount of sauce to the crust, add whatever amount of sauce you want to your pizza.

I added a lot of cheese, including some Parmesan, some oregano and some red pepper flake which are my seasonings of choice on my pizza. I couldn't find any decent fresh basil so I just didn't get any, but if there is any good fresh basil I would slice it up and use it, or you can just tear the leaves.

To the top of the pizza I added some of the onion, garlic, mushrooms, and ham mixture after I had let it cool. I also put a little more Parmesan cheese on top.


The pizza once it was taken out of the oven, it was really good, not quite as good as some other pizzas I have made, but it was still quite good.


Heated up the remaining onion, garlic, mushroom and ham mixture to go with my eggs for breakfast.

I took the onions and garlic that I had set aside the night before, and mashed them up with a potato masher. This is the one element that I have changed in the following recipe from what my father taught to me. He uses onion and garlic powder, although I am sure he has used fresh onion at some point. The recipe can actually be used as hamburgers, meatballs, or meatloaf.

To the onions and garlic I added ground beef, soy sauce because I didn't have any Worcestershire sauce, parsley flake, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and some eggs.

The only way to mix all of this up is by hand, its the best way to ensure proper distribution of all of the ingredients.

I rolled out the meat into balls by hand, they are inconsistent in size a little bit, but I still loved the result that I got.

My arrangement in the pan, I had used some lean beef so I put some oil in the bottom to make sure they wouldn't stick to the pan.

I cooked the meatballs for about 2 minutes on each side. The larger ones got a little bit longer on each side.

I had a mix of some tomato sauce and bbq sauce in my slow cooking warming that I bathed the meatballs in. These can really go with anything from marinara to gravy.

The final shot of my slow cooker with all of the meatballs in the slow cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment