Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Letting the Weck Out

It has been about a week since my last post. I was sad that I was not able to get off of work to attend Dave Ehresmann's funeral, but I like to think I did my part in remembering Dave. I am no good at dealing with death, it is one of few things in the world that are able to render me speechless. With that said, I would like to move on to another topic this week.

This past weekend I got to spend lots of quality time with my father's side of the family. It had been over 2 years since the last time everyone got together. We were together to celebrate my grandfather's 90th birthday. Boy was there ever too much food, which is of course a good thing in my mind.There was of course a bevy of Weck laughter. Its just something that happens at every Weck event. I think it was much more laid back than the last Weck gathering which was my cousin Steven's wedding. That had an open bar and boy do the Wecks know how to abuse that.

It was nice to see everyone, and it was even nice to get lawyered by my cousin Dave. I think it was so much fun seeing everyone because this was not a common event. I truly believe that if we got together all the time we would get sick of each other easily. It was very nice to see my grandfather who has been degrading in condition at a much more rapid pace than I had expected. I think the Weck stubbornness is going to be a big issue for him, and it already is because he does not want to acknowledge that he needs some help to do certain things.

I tended to blend into the background at the party and observe. I talked to people, but I just was not in that talkative of a mood for some reason. I gave everyone the same update, but beyond that there is not that much to share about my life right now. Its always a good thing when you're bored with the happenings of your own life right?

It was nice to share the laughs with people and just joke around about every thing we could. That is the Weck way. I look forward to the next time we all get together, but it would probably be a little while before that will happen again. Til next time Weck Family!

In other news, I have been talking to a new girl lately. She really seems to understand me and we are on the same page on just about everything that has come up lately. She actually likes certain things that other girls have disliked in the past such as my tendency to correct grammar for example. I really have enjoyed getting to know her and I am looking forward to spending some time with her this weekend. Sorry to leave it vague, but that is just what I do on here.

Movie of the Week: Easy A--I really liked this movie. I thought it was very creatively done. I think Emma Stone is amazing in it, as she has been in just about every movie I have seen with her in it. She was in Superbad, Zombieland, and The Rocker(which I think is a very underrated movie) as well as Easy A. I had the movie from Netflix so I actually watched it twice before returning it, something that I literally never do. The main character's parents a fucking amazing, they have a few of the biggest laughs in the whole movie, even though they are not in more than maybe 15% of the movie. This is a movie that i definitely overlooked when it was originally released, because it didn't seem that interesting to me, but I am really glad that I went back and watched it after the fact. Definitely worth renting. Trust me on this one. If you want a comedy that is a little bit different, give it a try. What do you really have to lose? It could also be Amanda Bynes' last movie as well! It was brought to my attention while watching Easy A that Amanda Bynes' eyes are too close together, and now its all I think about when I see her.

Podcast of the week: Sklarbro Country-- I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I tend to fall behind on some then listen to a few weeks' worth in a row. Today I was listening to Sklarbro Country, its a podcast that is available on iTunes and at Earwolf.com as well. I really like this first few segments of every episode. They talk about weird stories that are in someway linked to sports. Then they have a guest on, usually a comedian of some kind, then they do quick hits which are shorter news stories with the guest. After those segments I sometimes just tune out. They usually have someone on who does an impression of someone, be it Owen Wilson, Jerry Jones, or Racist Vin Scully, I just don't enjoy that segment as much. When they have Jesse Thorn on to do his fantasy updates its awesome. He talks about all sorts of fake fantasy sports, like fantasy dog shows. I would highly recommend it to any fan of comedy or fan of sports. If you are a fan of comedy and a fan of sports, then you just have to check it out.

Album of the week: Showroom of Compassion by Cake--I really enjoyed the whole album, especially the first single that I head, Sick of You, and also Federal Funding. Federal Funding really reminds me of my job when different clients come in asking for the free government money that does not exist. Damn you Matthew Lesko! If you know who that is kudos to you. The album has a pretty normal Cake sound to it, maybe with a bit more country thrown in. Worth checking out for anyone who has not already done so. I think Sick of You is a great breakup song, of course that is just the interpretation that I have put on it.

I am really looking forward to the start of the baseball season. I had a great time 2 weekends ago having my fantasy baseball draft with the same group of guys I have been in a league with for so long. Had a blast seeing everyone, of course now I have to wait for the season to begin for it fantasy baseball to really start! There are few things more fun than stealing a player right before someone else was going to draft him. It should be another good year for Twins fans. I look forward to watching as many games as I can this year. We have a plan to go to a game with my fantasy baseball league, but that is not until August. I will probably find some time to go before that.

Well that is all I have for today. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Stealing an idea from Patton Oswalt's book Zombie Spaceship Wasteland, I did the following things while writing this post:
Emailed back and forth with my mom.
Spell checked the word bevy.
Looked up Emma Stone on IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment