Monday, July 25, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger

I really liked Captain America. I really thought it was a complex movie, more complex than other Super Hero movies. It is a heartwarming story, but it is also a war movie, and there is enough comic relief in the movie to through the actionless scenes.

I thought Chris Evans had a real breakout performance in this movie. He really embodied the American spirit of the character. I look forward to see what he can do in The Avengers. I think there was some foreshadowing with the tension between Captain America and Howard Stark, I am guessing that is going to continue between Captain America and Tony Stark, but Tony might have tension with everyone in the Avengers.

While on the subject of Howard Stark, I have no doubt that he was based on the eccentric Howard Hughes, I think the character in the movie looked a lot like Howard Hughes, or at least the depiction I saw of him in The Aviator. I also really think that Howard Stark looked and acted a lot like Samm Levine. I could not help but think that throughout the movie, anytime that Howard showed up. If only Samm Levine could grow a mustache.

I have never seen Hayley Atwell in anything before, but I really enjoyed her performance. On top of that she sure has some warheads on her.

The movie opens with some Norwegian being spoken, but then all of the German characters speak English, I was so disappointed. Kevin Bacon spoke German in X-Men: First Class. There was at least one time that a German character switched the v sound for a w sound which gave it a slightly more authentic German feel. I really liked Stanley Tucci's character and he spoke with more of an accent than any of the other German characters. I wish there would have been more of him in the movie, but doctors don't fight in wars do they?

I would rate this movie at about the same level as X-Men First Class. I think it had its own feeling to it. I like how each of the Avengers movies have had their own genre, I think there are actually very few light-hearted war movies out there in general. Well maybe it was more medium-hearted, but still something that is pretty rare. There are some sad moments, but also some moments that are just wonderful. Definitely worth checking out. Stay through the credits to see a preview of The Avengers, it is short and sweet, but it is still something.

I am looking forward to seeing The Avengers, I know there is going to be a lot going on within the film, but I am very curious to see what they will be doing with it. Joss Whedon will hopefully be allowed to use his own vision with all of the characters. Off into the future, I am very curious to see what Edgar Wright will do with Ant-Man, but that is not until 2014 so I will be waiting on that a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment