Saturday, July 16, 2011

TV Shows I Love That Are Off The Air

These are some TV shows that I really enjoy, that are no longer on the air. Some were popular when they were on TV, others were not so much. I will also state which ones are available on Netflix Instant. This post is very long, but I did not want to break it up into different posts.

Sports Night: I really think that Sports Night is just criminally underrated. I thought it was awesome when I watched it during its original airing. Its a smart show with great dialogue that was created by Aaron Sorkin, before The West Wing. Its a comedy that has heart and characters in it. It really has very little to do with sports, so don't let that scare you away. The show is now available on Netflix Instant, so you don't really need to make any sort of investment to be able to watch it. Give it a few episodes to grow on your, there are some great story arcs later on in the series.

Arrested Development: I can not say that i watched this show when it was originally on the air, but I did watch it shortly thereafter. The 3 seasons of this show are one of the greatest dvd purchases I have ever made. The show is so rewatchable, with some great characters. A great comedy that really uses the talents of its cast. Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, Michael Cera, Jeffrey Tambor, David Cross, Portia De Rossi, Alia Shawkat, Jessica Walter, and Tony Hale are the most dysfunctional family ever to be on television. Ron Howard might be the best narrator in the history of television as well. Arrested Development is available on Netflix Instant as well.

The Critic: A hidden gem among the many different animated shows that popped up during the 90's. Part of the problem with this show was that it got the wrong lead-in audience. It was originally on ABC airing after Home Improvement, which is not a bad show. I just don't think this smart cartoon set in New York has the same audience as the family show that led into it. I think it then got bounced around to different time slots on Fox the following season before getting canceled. You might remember Jay Sherman, the main character, for his crossover episode of The Simpsons for the Springfield Film Festival. I think the show was too smart for the cartoon format, and it just didn't appeal to the great masses. The movie parodies in it are funny, but of course they are a little dated, since the show stopped airing in 1995. I wish the show was available on Netflix, but as of right now only the dvds are available. Below I have inserted what might be my favorite moment from the show:



The Office(UK)
Whether you have ever watched the American version of the show, you should really give the original a try. The first few episodes of the original series, were replicated in the American version so it should be an easy transition. I think UK version is a bit more out there, some of the topics ended up being toned down for the American version. This series is available on Netflix Instant, I believe there are also 2 specials that they have on Netflix as well.

Extras
Another great comedy series from Ricky Gervais, during which he parodies some of the things that he went through on his path before and during The Office. He is able to wrangle some great stars to make appearances on the show. I think that Ricky Gervais is a master of creating awkward situations that also feel very real, in a hard to handle type of way.

Firefly
I think this show was too smart and too good for its network or its time. It is a space western. Some people tell me they are not interested in watching it, because they don't watch science fiction, but this show transcends a genres all together. It has good laughs, some great characters. Joss Whedon created such a wonderful world, with so many funny tidbits within it. I would like everyone to give this show a try. This show is available on Netflix Instant so please give it a try.

Freaks and Geeks
This show, is another show that was just before its time. This show was really the introduction of Seth Rogen and Jason Segel, into my world at least. It has comedy, but also some real life elements that most people can relate to, it even has some good family scenes in it. I know both my little brother and myself really connected with this show, and its characters. I think Judd Apatow and Paul Feig did a great job with this show. Some people give Apatow all the credit, but Feig was the creator, so how can he at least not be mentioned? I have the show on dvd, I wish it was on Netflix, but it isn't. If you want to borrow the dvds, that might be able to be arranged.

Greek
This show was kind of my guilty pleasure. My brother and I discovered it watching a marathon of it on ABC Family one day, and were hooked. It is about the college greek system. I am not sure how accurate the depiction of the greek system is, but it is definitely very entertaining. The characters were able grow a bit through all of the seasons of the show. The show featured the wonderful Clark Duke from time to time, I am sure he was on when his schedule would allow. All of the seasons of this series are available on Netflix Instant.

My Boys
Another guilty pleasure of a series, it is a series about a woman, most of her friends are guys, and she is a sportswriter. Its a comedy, and it is quite funny. Jim Gaffigan players her brother, but was under-utilized. The different characters are all funny, and the show is really entertaining.

Newsradio
This is one of those shows that I have watched through the whole series over and over. It has a great cast of characters, and i be everyone has heard of a lot of the actors that are on it. Stephen Root is awesome as the station's billionaire owner, who just happens to be hanging out a lot. The late Phil Hartman really took this show to another level, it was never quite the same after his passing. This show is available on Netflix Instant, please check it out if you want to see a classic slice of 90's sitcom action.

Reaper
A show that was doomed from the start. How many shows have been able to get past the fact that they can be found only on the CW? Not too many. It has good comedy, along with the eternal battle between good and evil. Tyler Labine is amazing as Sock. It also has a different adventure in each episode with the main characters trying to, well they have to capture a soul that has escaped from hell, who doesn't do that every week? This show is available on Netflix Instant.

3rd Rock From The Sun
This show is another from they heyday of the sitcom, and also the heyday of NBC, oh how the mighty have fallen. John Lithgow is at his best in this show, he is able to be his outrageous, overacting self, and it is just amazing. I think we watched this show as a family, oh the memories. This show is available on Netflix Instant.

Undeclared
This show was  a show of Judd Apatow's creation, and this show introduced the world to Jay Baruchel, and who doesn't love his charming Canadian-ness? This show is a straightforward comedy, it has no real drama in it like Freaks and Geeks has. It is about college, and life, but is quite entertaining.

Veronica Mars
Veronica Mars is one of the most underrated shows out there, it is a teenage dramedy, that is also a crime mystery. It is a very complex idea that was well executed. I can not claim to be someone who watched the show when it was on the air. I have to thank m little brother for bringing the show to my attention. The show has made a star out of Kristen Bell. Nothing is more fun than a snarky, cute, blonde high schooler right? This show is available on Netflix Instant.

Party Down
The best show on a network that pretty much no one gets. This show has a great cast of outrageous characters. Everyone on this show is just hilarious, and my secret love, Lizzy Caplan is a struggling standup comedian. Who does not want to see entertaining exploits of an hilarious party catering company? This show is available on Netflix Instant. Starz took it down when they canceled it, but the uproar on Twitter and all over the internet has won and both seasons are not available.

Friday Night Lights
Well just earlier today I watched the last episode of the series, so it is now technically over. This show is a family and sports drama. The scenes are just so emotionally charged. I am pretty sure that this is the only show to ever make me tear up at all, and it his done so on a regular basis, as well as giving me goosebumps frequently. Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton might just be the best parents on television. They have both finally been nominated for Emmy's this year, as well as a bunch of others for the show. I was late to the party on this show, but I will most likely be watching it again some time. The first 4 seasons are available on Nettflix Instant, I would guess that the 5th season will be on there eventually. This show is really worth checking out whether you are a sports fan or not.

2 comments:

  1. What did you think of Dead Like Me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all honesty, I liked Dead Like Me, but it was at the very bottom of this list and I ended up cutting it, because I was too tired of typing at the time.

    ReplyDelete